June

Oh what a June it was!

From packing up our house in British Columbia, to saying many many tearful goodbyes...


To leaving our first home and starting our long journey from the West Coast through the Prairies, with many beautiful stops along the way...


To arriving in a province I've never been to move into a house I'd never seen...


If June wasn't full  already with setting up house in an unknown place, I had to add a job hunt and interviews (I landed a GREAT job that I start on Friday thankfully) to the mix. And then, last week, after only 3 weeks of being here, my dear mom visited us and it was wonderful getting to show her  (and me!) around Winnipeg. We also got to meet some long lost family who live here and I'm related to a possibly Olympic-bound curler! Very neat.


I would say June was an exciting, thrilling, and adventurous month and then it turned into an emotional one. My dear Sadie (our first mini dachshund) injured her back and was diagnosed with IVDD (intervertabral disc disease).


It's a serious one and it absolutely crushed us. Thankfully we realized the signs and got her to the vet right away, otherwise we could have risked paralysis setting in fully. She's currently on strict bedrest and can only leave her crate to go to the bathroom (which is so sad because now that she's starting to feel a little better she wants out of that thing so badly!). We only have 7 weeks and few days left to go! It's definitely put a crimp in our summer ... we couldn't join our neighbours for the Canada Day celebration downtown because we had to be home to help Sadie stand up to relieve herself. She's worth it though. (If you ever have questions regarding this disease/ dachshund back problems, please don't hesitate to contact me!)



Needless to say, June hasn't been a month of projects (except for the dining chairs I refinished) or decorating (except for putting our existing stuff into place) so there is still quite a bit to do this summer! I'm IN LOVE with our walk in pantry except for those gosh darn ventilated wire shelves (any advice?). I can't wait to tackle the pantry here and get some great systems organized for the laundry room.

Now, I have about a months worths of blogs to catch up on, so please don't think that I've strayed too far! I can't wait to see what some of you talented people have been up to. Happy Summer!




Comments

  1. Buy some inexpensive peel and stick tiles from a home improvement store. They come in neutral shades, you can cut them to the perfect size, they're comparatively cheap, easy to work with, and they make the wire shelves so much more functional. Everything will sit nice and flat instead of slipping into the grates. They aren't the most chic option, but it's a pantry after all.

    And so sorry to hear about your dog. We had a similar situation a few years back when our lab tore a major ligament in his knee and had to be kenneled for a couple of months. Hopefully she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miranda! I am definitely looking into the peel and stick tile - just hope to find a colour that I like! :)

      And thanks for the well wishes for Sadie!

      Delete
  2. I have also seen people use foam core on those shelves. I think Container Store (if available) sells a stiff clear liner for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to cover the face of the shelcing as well so you can't see the wire shelves. Wonder how that would work?

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Winnipeg! You'll love it here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that your pup is not well! Such a sweetie. On a brighter note, the chairs looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Winnipeg! I like the peel and stick tile idea. Would shelving "paper" work? I've seen some really cute patterns online (thank you Pinterest!).
    I can't wait to see more of your organizational ideas!
    Good luck with your new job!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done anything yet but hope to tackle it soon!

      Delete
  6. I've been following for awhile and enjoy your posts. I'm putting out extra prayers for Sadie. Our first mini dachsie also had IVDD-tough to watch because he was so active. We would take him for walks in a doggie stroller (yes they make them lol) just so he could get some fresh air. He has since passes and now we have two little girls. The pictures of your doggies remind me of them-smooth & long haired. I'm including a link to a site with a lot of info on IVDD. They really helped us.
    http://www.dodgerslist.com/

    Enjoy your "blank canvas". I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    God bless,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a full month! Seriously impressed by all you've been handling/ accomplishing. So sad about your little doggie, but glad to hear you realized in time. And those stupid wire shelves? Don't even get me started. The worst. As someone said above, they do sell shelf liner made for wire shelves, although I've never used them myself (even for the pantry shelves I own because I just figure there's no hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to rip them out so badly! But must hold myself back as this isn't my house.... oh why do they even make those shelves!?

      Delete
  8. My Cavalier had IVDD and recovered beautifully. She leaps all over the place as if nothing happened. I hope your baby feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts