Advice Time!

I really really need some input on this one! I am STUMPED!

I figure since we're overhauling our main floor with new floors and new dining chairs, we might as well upgrade the cheap dining table while we're at it.

Hmmmm. Dining table. Wait. Don't I have one in the garage?

Yup.


Well, half of a table at least.

I bought a chrome dining table base a year ago at that amazing wonderful heaven of an interior design warehouse sale. It was $75. Score!

It has no top though, and I am still really torn as to what I should do. I've already attempted one option. I bought a bunch of pine treated 2 by 6's, had them cut to size, and was ready to use the Pinterest technique to age the wood to make it look, well aged, or beached, until I was quickly taught that 2 by 6's are NOT 2 inches by 6 inches. ARGH. I spent close to $100 on my special wood, to come home and find my measurements were so wrong. Major fail.

So, a year later, my beautiful table base is still in the garage. I really want it to come inside and keep my new chairs company.

I've thought of a glass top, but if my side tables are any indication, glass tops scratch easily and look dirty quickly.

I would love white marble, but let's be honest, I'm not buying a white marble table top any day soon. Cha ching that I do not want to spend.

What other options can you guys think of? What would YOU do?

Comments

  1. How annoying is it that 2x6's aren't really 2"x6"?! Why call them 2x6's if you really mean 1.75x5.5's?? MEN. I learned that the hard way too but it wasn't as tragic when I found out the truth because I didn't have to fit them into a defined space. I still love the idea though!!! Could you sand down the edges enough to get to a measurement that will make them fit? I love the concept and think it would look amazing. And thanks for the congrats - I didn't realize the feature had gone up till I saw your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO ANNOYING! Why can't they be the actual dimensions! I swear, guys must have done that to trick DIY girls like myself. I can't reuse the boards I have becuase they're too small, but I'm sure I'll find another use for them! Going to give it another go with new wood I think.

      Delete
  2. I would definitely go with a wood top and actually probably something like the idea you already initially had. I'm not huge on chrome so I would either give it a white finish or go with a aged bronze look. I guess that would depend on the chairs and the finish you did with them.

    This is something like I was thinking. Weathered and aged...

    http://stores.homestead.com/hudsongoods/catalog/salvaged%20wood%20dining%20table%20(10ft).jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I had in mind (just a bit more greyish weathered wood). Here's to round 2!

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of the wood. That was my first instinct when I saw the base...any chance you could try that again? I think that would look really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to try again! Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  4. Agree with what others have already said. I think go for the wood, that rustic/glam combo will look amazing. I'm sure you'll be able to use the other wood for something else...headboard, wall art (the reclaimed look with something painted on it). I had to scrap all of the original wood I bought for those x-benches I made because my original plan wasn't working. $50 for nothing. But so it goes sometimes with DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you successfully made me feel better for having to start over with new wood! I'm just so terrified that I'm going to mess up AGAIN and waste another $100 which I could have contributed towards a different table top. Wish me luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts